Sunday, February 17, 2013

Meal Prep Sundays - Chicken and Tilapia

 
Many of you have asked how I prep my food. Well here is the nitty gritty!
 
I go to school and work fulltime Monday through Saturday so meal prep for me is key. I buy frozen vegetables because they have the most nutrition without the added sodium from a can and easiest to re-heat while I am on the go. I usually stick to corn, green beans and edamame.
 
 
CHICKEN
For my Chicken I usually put a tbsp of BBQ (which you can do any flavor you want, I often try to switch it up monthly so I don't get bored but I know Shaun has a specific brand he likes.) Pay attention to the serving size and amount of sugar and fat when you are deciding because it can add up quickly! I also use a variety of Mrs. Dash's seasonings to make give it a kick too.
 
Turn oven on to 375*.
I cut each chicken breast in half (so it cooks quick and evenly)
I put in a glass pyrex lined with tinfoil  (sprayed with PAM!) because I have found clean up is SO MUCH EASIER!
I then brush on 1 tbsp of BBQ on each breast and along the edges.
I sometimes sprinkle a Mrs. Dash flavor on them, this week I choose not to.
I place in the oven for 30-32 minutes
I then take it out, cut them down the center and make sure the juices and center are completely white/clear
I hate dry chicken so I don't usually cook it for longer than that.
 
TILAPIA
My tilapia is a little different. I get bored of fish. If you would have told me a year ago I'd be eating 5oz of Tilapia 6-7 days a week I would call you a liar. I buy the Kraft Fresh Take packages in the cooler section and divide them up for 10 servings instead of the usual 6 that the packaging says it is for. Allows for less calories per fillet but still the flavor. So far I have found 4 different flavors and all of them are great!

I often place my chicken and tilapia in at the same time, but the Tilapia because it is thinner cooks quicker. Check at 20 minutes to see if the meat is throughly cooked. I have had the habit of not doing that and it gets dry very quickly past the 26/27 minute mark.

I rinse the tilapia fillets with water and then place them in a bowl of the mix until lightly covered. Just enough for a little bit of flavor. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Doing your chicken meal prep now! Thanks for being an inspiration and motivation to me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been weeding out the processed crap and learning a lot about what is in our food. the Tilapia that you buy, is it wild caught or farm raised. The farm raised is bad for you, the fish are fed garbage. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete