Saturday, January 12, 2013

My personal top 10 things to remember when getting started!

10 Starting points

Now these aren't in "order" but are just great things to consider when starting out!

1. Make a realist goal. Break it down into manageable smaller goals and set rewards for them. A new pair of running shoes, a outfit, a vacation, a Mani/pedi or something out of the ordinary for you! It keeps you motivated.

2. Make a motivational board. A picture of you when you were at goal size, quotes, photos or whatever you'd like. I printed off quotes and put them everywhere! Bathroom mirror, my dresser, in my car and desk at work. Just little reminders!

3. Get a workout partner or accountability partner. Someone to support you and kick your butt to hit the gym on days you don't want to go!

4. Clean out your pantry, fridge and freezer. If you don't have the temptations around it is so much easier not to cheat. It teaches you control and honestly I didn't want that ice cream or chocolate bar bad enough to get up, drive to the store and back just to have 5 seconds of happiness.

5. 6 meals a day is key! Think "this months diet is next months body"!

6. Fail to plan is a plan to fail. Period. Meal plan, prep your meals for a few days at a time, portion size in advance your snacks, vegetables and fruits. Leads you less to choose bad options and for those of you on the go? Life saver!

7. Never eat less than 1200 calories. Starving yourself will not get you the body you want. Maybe temporary but that is not a sustainable way to live. The weight will come back. Myfitnesspal and many other apps are available for you to track your foods, gives you daily calorie intakes and your carb, fat, protein, etc of what you are consuming. You can add in your workouts and it gives you more calories to eat. Please don't starve yourself. You will find yourself eating less BUT more often living this kind of healthy life but you will see its so much better for you!

8. It takes 21 days to make a habit. Don't give up. 21 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I promise you it does get easier!

9. Take before pictures AND measurements. It is most common for women to lose water weight quickly and then plateau on the scale. Don't believe it! The tape measure doesn't lie! You'll be converting fat to muscle, which ways more BUT takes up less space! So you're technically shrinking. Don't give up! It's worth it! Oh and do these both monthly!

10. Oh the cellulite and stretch marks question. I have one piece of advice- embrace them. Cellulite = layer of fat on your body. As you "firm and tone" with a balanced diet and "cardio/strength training regime" it will go away. Stretch marks- use lotion daily. I have them and plan to post a photo soon. But when I am tan they look fainter. They will never go away, it's damage to your skin BUT you can help it along. It's who you are and realize how far you've come!

And I'll sneak in a #11. Please please please please PLEASE Women don't be afraid of the weights. They are your FRIEND! And when done correctly and paired with healthy eating- you'll see a massive change in your body shape! I promise :)

Ok and one more. You didn't gain the weight in one day, one week or one month and you won't lose it in that amount of time. Make it a lifestyle change. Start slow and one thing at a time so it doesn't become so overwhelming NOR come back later. I'm here for support and so are thousands around you or I wouldn't have 5,000 likes in less than a week. We are here for you and want you to succeed! ONE DAY AT A TIME!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome advice! I have never been so excited and encouraged to lose weight EVER! I go back to my surgeon on Monday to get my stitches out (had knee surgery) and cant wait for him to tell me that I can go back to the gym to do my own therapy!!! Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks and please keep helping us, help ourselves!!! And you keep it up yourself, you look great!!!

    P.S.
    I have never been so excited to go to the grocery store this week in my life....to buy ALL Healthy stuff to start eating CLEAN!! :)

    ReplyDelete